PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Huey in Capetown (including Huey down)
Old 3rd May 2005, 17:39
B Sousa
Gatvol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch.....Someone got thier feelings hurt.. That doesnt happen very often in here..ha ha

Clipboard dropped a big bomb as many did not know the process in Germany did not allow for export.
A friend of mine , when speaking of these aircraft some months ago, failed to drop that little Pearl.
The saga contuinues.
Bottom line is , after having played a bit in the fires near the Waterberg, is that South Africa could seriously use some Hueys for this work. All the bickering in here wont make a hoot as the aircraft used in fire work can be legal, by the books etc. Nothing wrong with quickey conversions, but as a manager you just dont turn someone loose untill they get some experience . Thats where the Bubba time comes in. Left seater does some Bombing and right seater sees how its done. Eventually it becomes hands on and the rest is called an Experienced Pilot.
Essential crew in a Huey will be one or two seats, both qualified Pilots. All other folks no matter what their position in life are not necessary for this work and should be considered in violation of the STC. That includes Mechanics, Engineers, Lawn Mower Repairmen etc.
Now consider this one.........If it was observed that all the rules are followed for some period of time, lets say a year, season etc... Chances are maybe, just somehow that Surplus Cobras may find their way on the scene. They are using them in the States for Bucket work and for Fire Surveillance......
I had some folks really interested in coming over to assist with advice for this until the squabble between SACAA and the Money Makers. They want no part of it now...Too Bad for SA.
What Im saying is that if things are done right there is a chance that SA Fire management could open up a lot of work for a lot of Pilots and with other countries needing assistance...who knows what could happen.
I know nothing about Ag Spraying, but thats another big ballgame with lots of opportunity for Hueys.
Its just gotta be done by the rules.