PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Huey in Capetown (including Huey down)
Old 1st May 2005, 21:35
alwaysinverted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt P, your memory is short. You don't seem to remember the discussion we had over a beer with your mate from FAYP (the well known Oryx pilot) when the Huey operation was discussed, and at that time, your expressed thoughts, was not in line with your thoughts now.

I see from your thread the instructor is called Ian. You also say, and I quote: "might not have 100's of hours on Hueys, but who in SA does?"

Well, Ian probably does not have more than 5 hours on a Huey, as he was only converted a day or two before he got the instructor rating. The sad part of it all is that he was converted onto a "non standard Huey, where the engine is not standard, and neither are the procedures ranging from the start to actual flight. A "bastardized" sort of Huey, with Dash 13 instrument markings, but a Dash 11 engine. The Dash 13 Placard have not even been removed from the panel.

There are also a couple of other pilots right here in SA that have flown high time on Hueys and Bell 205's, right here in SA. Including the owner. Some of those pilots are also instructors, and you know the reason why they were not willing to get involved. Its a shame that you guys had to get converted by a " Huey novice", but you also know the reason why that was done.

Its a pity that the Hueys have become so tainted through all the bad publicity, which I believe, reading thru all the threads, was initiated due to professional jealousy. It still very clear that professional jealousy rules in this saga. Its a real shame. Its also a great pity that the operators, cannot distinguish between right and wrong, and that the envelope are continuously pushed beyond the parameters of the law. So where are the professionalism? People that criticise the Huey operations are Commercial Operators that cannot understand why the SACAA does not pull the teeth on this lot. They (the Commercial operators) have to abide by the law and the regulations to maintain their AOC's at great cost, including your company, this whilst the SACAA allows the Huey owners to break every single rule in the book. So what is fair, and what is'nt? Would you, as a professional, run your company that way? I almost doubt it.

The CAA should wake up and take control of this lot. The 204HP are already associated with the Cape Huey and its people, and reading thru the threads, it is clear that this helicopter are severely tainted thru the association with the CPT Huey Operation. Its not going to get any better either. The guys will start flying pax in violation of the C of A, and then it will be nothing else but another fly by night, mickey mouse operation, only to be taken with a pinch of salt by aviation worldwide, and uncontrolled by the SACAA, due to concerns of being legally challenged.

It's scenarios like this, that taints South African Aviation as a whole, and the professionalism thereof. That's why this lot will always get criticism, and I can assure you that it will continue, here on pprune and elsewhere, until such time that these guys come to their senses, which may be never, because money speaks louder than the law. Viva Africa!