PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Huey in Capetown (including Huey down)
Old 7th Apr 2005, 12:27
B Sousa
Gatvol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clipboard
In response to your posting.
I will take a bet to Vegas any day of the week that SWFA is "lawyered up" and is not going to make any comments in a "Rumor Mill" Sounds reasonable to me. Besides the money is in the bank and the Aircraft is no longer their problem. Its one of those buyer beware-no warranty items.
As to the questions on airframe. Since the Bell Data Plate is gone and has been replaced by one from SWFA. We can only assume that this was done by a reputable company. Those changes are acceptable and expected based on the STC that SWFA has for Modifications.
As to the L11.....My wrench friends (FAA certifed) explain that YES an L11 can be modified to L13. BUT, if that is done it will be so noted on the data plate and the engine logbook?? So if it says L11...its an L11. Only someone from the owners side can tell us if there is an engine logbook (there should be).. but quite frankly thats something he does not have to share with us. Further it cant be something done in Capetown.
Another item one might like to look at are the transmissions. They also have different numbers. Some are upgraded and will be so noted. If the bigger engine is installed it will require an upgrade on the transmission. If not.......well its anyones guess what will happen.
This one thread has cast a big shadow over ALL Aircraft and Operators in SA, in that ever since these( I mean all of them) OD money makers hit the SA shores these aircraft have always raised questions. When a Company can flaunt the rules set down by the one agency responsible for Aviation Safety in SA and that agency acts so inept in that they do not have anyone left with the required expertise to deal with these matters, what message do you think this is sending to the rest of the world? I' ll comment that it says do not purchase anything that has flown in SA as it is suspect.
What hurts is the reputable companies will suffer the same plight.
Maybe the best thing for SA Aviation would be to do as many have been done in the states...many being HUNDREDS.. Crush them and recycle them as Castles Cans. Im sure that is not what many want to hear.