PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Huey in Capetown (including Huey down)
Old 24th Nov 2004, 11:32
B Sousa
Gatvol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bladestrap
Not being sensitive at all. What I mentioned to others was the same as I posted a couple days ago. Nothing has changed if you compare notes. The only difference being is that I didnt post it on the open forum until Kennel Keeper let the dogs out.. I also spoke to Francois in depth about it..
You just dont get it, I spent 21 years flying those things. I lived in them ,slept in them and lost many friends in them. They are a part of my life. My love for Hueys is the one reason I get a bit vocal on the matter. I am not used to seeing things in this fashion. Dont blame it on Africa either.
Something I forgot to mention in regards to sling work was that the Huey was probably never used for precision work in the Military. Our slinging was usually re-supply. Nets full of food, fuel, etc. on short 25-50 lines. The only time I ever did 300' lines was in tall trees in the mountains and with good communication.
The B205 which is almost the same machine is used extensively in the civilian world and for precision work. As a rule it is set up for Vert/Ref by using a bubble window on the left side with TQ/TGT/N1 guages so that the pilot does not have to move his head while working.
Albeit the Huey and the 205 are the same airframe, they have differences. Dave Mouton is well versed in the 205 and can explain if necessary.
On another item; in the states to do any maintenance....let me say that again, TO DO ANY MAINTENANCE, one is required to have in his possession a valid (A/P) Airframe/Powerplant License or to sign off work a Valid (A/I) Airframe Inspectors License. Yes you can work in a Factory or for a Manufacturer or in a Licensed Repair Station without that. You are working under their agreement with the FAA. If you are not meeting that criteria, I dont care how long your resume is at the College of Underwater Basketweaving; You dont have a License, its illegal.
I also get the feeling that the emotions here from some are due to the fact that they are "Huey Enthusiasts" and not qualified Helicopter Pilots or Mechanics as we call them. It seems to be a determining factor as to which side of the fence they are perching.That alone explains a lot of the mud slinging.