PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Auto Brake system
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2006, 16:38
alosaurus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,
The answer is that max braking on an Airbus should not be used for landing only the RTO case (I understand third hand Boeing max braking is much less aggressive).
In 1994 Airbus Flight Test Dept. ran a series of braking tests with A340s at MTOW (test pilots running out of things to do I guess).
Three TPs were asked to brake more or less manually (I think they were allowed the benefit of anti skid) at MTOW V1 and try and beat the aircraft with max braking selected in the same conditions. All failed...the max braking selection at MTOW resulted in all plugs blowing on all tyres.
Some interesting result asides
1. Whilst all applied maximum braking initially one immediately backed off as it felt seriously wrong.
2. The other two both tried but failed to hold maximum braking through the entire deceleration. It was found that the left handed pilot allowed the right brake to release earlier and VV for the right handed pilot.
Conclusion was that if they could not do it when they were expecting it us mere line pilots would definately require max auto brake to avoid running off the end. Design guys vindicated...fire service not impressed with having their pool games disrupted.