PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Child safety seats vs on lap
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2002, 16:57
Iron City

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The original topic on the other part of PPRUNE was a valid discussion (not my call to make anyway). I chimed in because I had seeen these video clips and wondered how many other people had and whether the question would still be 10 quid to ride on parents'lap after people saw them.

A number of years ago US FAA had regulation that would not allow child safety seats unless they were TSO approved (or something similar). They later changed it to say that if the seat was approved by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) then they were okay in airplanes. After seeing what happened in some aircraft actual crashes and turbulance incidents I believe the CAMI did some research from which the video clips come. If you go back up the CAMI web page it also seems to indicate that "regular" (i.e. NHTSA approved) childsafety seats are no longer allowed in use on aircraft and neither are belly belts.

That all said, I have always used child safety seats when taking small childern on airliners and in GA aircraft. The "on the lap" method always seemed to me to be unsafe. After learning how to install the seats properly (from a Delta cabin crew member) I always felt pretty good about it. After seeing CAMI's videos I have never taken a small child that would use a safety seat on an aircraft, the downside consequences are just too much.

What have the professionals learned?

[ 26 February 2002: Message edited by: Iron City ]</p>