PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Revised Bristol/Cardiff airspace/SIDs/STARs
Old 6th Oct 2006, 16:30
ATCOJ30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi "simride". Interesting comments indeed. That's the great thing about these posts - we learn from each other. Useful stuff for me. Have a look at a chart showing the new airspace (half-mil topo #32A will do or UK AIP Bristol CTR/CTA chart AD2-EGGD-4-1 which is a bit clearer) and you'll see the issue for us: we can only drop you to 500 feet above the declared base, because of what may be flying around under controlled airspace: hence you get descent to FL120 from LACC S23 after CPT (standing agreement), then we can drop you to FL80 15nm before POMAX, if we get you in time (base of L9 is FL75 after MALBY). We then have to ensure you stay out of the Lyneham CTA (top FL65) on the drop to 5000 feet towards Colerne, then 4000 over Bath and 2500 feet for the last bit before the ILS. Does the descent profile not work okay for a CDA mostly? We're also trying to give track miles to touchdown now to assist you and also to antcipate continuous descent profiles to keep you going down but staying within controlled airspace.

You have an option(s) of course: tell us you want more track miles and we'll do something creative, possibly a heading towards Filton and then a "proper" right base turn onto 27 from the north, dropping to 2500 feet. Otherwise, towards the BRI and through the centreline for a left hand cct. You're flying the aeroplane and are responsible for its safe operation, ultimately: We don't want to make it hard for you guys, believe me. Please don't keep schtumm on the RT but then whinge to each other on the flight-deck about **** ATC: Just let us know in as good time as you can. Hurried or potentially unstable approaches aren't what we want, any more than you do, 'cos it just increases the risk of a go-round (or worse). Might be worth getting some official feedback to us via KA if it's a regular prob.? As an aside, I remember having a similar conversation about "big,slippery aeroplanes which are hard to slow down" with an RAE Comet captain in 1977...then an MD80 capt. in 1987...things don't change.