PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How old are current wanabees?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2006, 15:32
Orvil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
This one again!
Age doesn't really matter, Market conditions do. However......

My advice would be go to Uni first then decide.
I have a fATPL (finished this summer). I am now waiting for my chance. In the meantime I have had job interviews for "graduate" jobs circa £30,000.
I am 35, so no spring chicken. If I was say, 20 without a degree, I would now be looking at jobs that pay less than half of that. Most airlines look for how much flying you do (in the last 12 months), FlyBE is one, they ask for at least 50hours. It's ok getting the fATPL but you need to keep the skill level up. I think most 20ish people will probably be heavily in debt thus all extra money going towards that and not flying. Therefore, decreasing your chance of getting a job, apart from life experience as discussed before, keeping the skill level up is the hardest part.
If you are 18 and undecided about Uni/ATPL. I would choose Uni, it's not just a case of keeping the skill level up but some airlines now expect you to have a degree due to the degenerating standard of secondary school qualifications.
BenAek - your imaturity in your post shines through like a gold coin in cow dung! You will find it particularly difficult to get employment after dropping your A level's. It comes across that you are not willing to take the boring/hard stuff and would rather quit. Flying, unfortunately, has a lot of repetitive/boring stuff that must be completed for a safe and efficient flight. I would return to college and do the A levels. Like I said before due to the standard of education in secondary schools GCSE are worthless and A's are going that way too. If I was an employer whom had to decide between say GCSE/A Level/ Degree (we're talking about low houred pilots) , 9 out of 10 would interview the graduate first then go down the list. I'm sorry but that's how the world is. Please prove me wrong

Happy landings
Orvil

Last edited by Orvil; 6th Oct 2006 at 15:44.