PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cypriot airliner crash - the accident and investigation
Old 6th Oct 2006, 13:54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Article in the Phileleftheros

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum (so please excuse my mistakes), though I've been reading this thread, and the previous one, with interest ever since the accident happened. As there hasn't been a post for a couple of days, I thought I'd contribute something.

Today's Phileleftheros, the Greek-language Cypriot daily newspaper, has an article titled "There were eight causes in the Grammatikos tragedy" and subtitled "What the Tsolakis Report says." This was also reported on London Greek Radio this morning.

It says Tsolakis will deliver the Final Report in Greece and Cyprus on Tuesday. The Phileleftheros claims to reveal the eight causes in the article. Four of the mentioned causes were labelled "active" and the other four "latent." The "active" causes, according to the paper, were identified as the joint responsibility between the ground engineers and the flight crew for the outflow valve remaining in manual, the incorrect reaction to alarm signals, the procedures for the crew, and the communication between flight crew and cabin crew.

For the "latent" causes the newspaper says the blame lies on the Cyprus Department of Civil Aviation for "seriously insufficient monitoring" by , Helios for "shortages" (presumably of staff?), and what surprised me was that even Boeing was blamed, for "failing to take corrective measures" for problems it already knew about, as well as JAA, ICAO and EASA, which "knew but tolerated" the situation with serious problems in the Dept. of Civil Aviation and the aviation industry in Cyprus.

What I don't get is how the newspaper claims to know the causes identified in the report, when it says in the same paragraph that the report is not going to be published until Tuesday. It also suddens me to see that the article just talks about blame, instead of what can be done to avoid similar accidents. I hope the actual Report won't be as bad as this newspaper article makes it out to be.