PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2006, 13:41
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S76 - v- 365

Nick - trust you to translate 'rugged' into 'crashworthiness'. Though I cannot disagree with you in this respect what I meant by 'rugged' was that I wouldn't take a 76 into the bush or base it offshore - needs too much attention to its good but fragile electrics/avionics. 365 does well in these environments and have spent up to two weeks offshore and in the bush with the N with great success. The fenestron can bite if you are not careful and I'm sure that like the 350 it would fall apart if you pranged it hard.

For me - at 6'4" (1m92)- getting in and out of the 365 was a pain though once in it was more comfortable than the 76 - those damn pilot seats in the 76 were fixed for and aft so backache was the order of the day. The S76 with the 'pilots' dinghy beside the RHS made entry more difficult that needed and replacing it with the library box doesn't improve things. I have reverted to using a 'back-friend' in the 76 with the rear cushion removed. Such is the lack of consistancy of the A+ models I am flying right now that the relationship between the controls and the seat can be as much as an inch different from ship to ship even though they have all (apparently) been rigged by the same people using the same kit.

All in all a 76B (or maybe the C+/C++) with a good paint job and an executive fit in the back is the best big-boys toy around. When you turn up to the party in one of those (cocktail cabinet and all) it really looks and feels the part.