PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2006, 11:23
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 437 Likes on 230 Posts
I've flown the A++ (SAR version), the B (corporate), the C (utility version, with an USL hook - commonly known as the "B minus") and the C+ (corporate). About 3100 hours all in on the type.

The 76 is certainly by far the best rotary IFR platform I've flown. Having said that, however, the full IIDS display (especially IAS and altitude) are not pilot friendly if hand flying under IFR / IMC- the old fashioned big "round gauges" provide much better "pilot cues".

Sikorsky have resorted back to "round gauge" displays, albeit computer generated ones on an IIDS screen, for the S-92.

Has the C+ really got less power than the B when operating normally, twin engine? It's the same gearbox, and the same 100% torque on both........ but the B is over 400 lbs heavier than the C+. We don't have to trade off fuel load against pax with the C+. I know which one I'd rather have OEI, though - the B!

The fit of the cockpit doors on ours leaves a lot to be desired and we get wet in the B when it rains. Thank goodness for laminated charts, which we put across our legs to keep dry.