PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin are coming to Australia! HOORAY!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 1999, 15:55
MrSeatback

Wink

Well said cabinboy!

One way or the other there will be those of us for whom working at an innovative, new company excites us! AND despite the pay rates people are speculating (one announcement in the press and suddenly everyone knows what the pay will be, what the conditions will be, etc) will work for a company on this knowledge alone!

Everyone is under the ASSUMPTION that people will be paid peanuts, treated like crap, etc. all because Virgin will be the new entrant. Compass (I and II) didn't erode conditions or pay their crew any less than what was considered standard at the time (okay, so plenty were retrenched when both went under)...but why should Virgin be painted as the WORST paid airline?

As I understand from my friends in Europe Virgin doesn't pay as much as other carriers, but it does offer incentives etc. such as free tickets etc. Hardly something against the favour of new employees.

For the meantime however, let's just all wait and see. He's only just arrived, and announced his plans. There is plenty of time between now and July 2000, and Virgin has very deep pockets to withstand pressure from the big two.

Further to comments regarding Bransons sale of Virgin Music to sustain Virgin Atlantic, if there's any indication of how much he values his employees, it was this sale. He didn't want VA to go under, so he sold VM on the proviso his employees at VM would remain employed. Once he won his battle with BA, he then shared his settlement winnings (his own PERSONAL settlement) with his VA staff. I wonder if Dickie Bowtie and his cronies would do this were they to win a similar amount personally??

Rather than pick on what we don't know, let's all just celebrate what we do know - Virgin is coming - there's no stopping him - he has plenty of money - he takes care of his staff - and the fact is that travel in this country will change forever!

PS. By the way cabinboy...do you have any favourite slides you like playing with? My fave is the 767's - long, huge and shiny silver (like a luxurious lilo bed!) Wouldn;t mid taking one out on the harbour one bright summer day!!