PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do after Emirates?????
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2006, 01:13
amowers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teaching English

Well, I am in Brazil teaching English right now and I hate the job and cannot wait to get to Dubai at the end of the month...but I suppose I dont hate teaching in itself, but the schedule for me has been killer and the money is no incentive what-so-ever that I lost all motivation a long time ago.

This is a typical day for me -- I wake up at 6am, travel 45 mins on a subway to work, arrive there at 8am and have class for one hour. At 9am, I then procede to waste time for three more hours until I have another class from 12-2pm. Then, if I am lucky, I will waste a few more hours and have another class at 5 and maybe even up to 10pm. I feel like I waste my whole days. I live in a beautiful city (Rio de Janeiro) and coming from Toronto, I would love to take advantage of it. However, my whole day is wasted running back and forth from student to student and wasting periods throughout the day just simply waiting. Here, students only study before 9, at lunch time and after 5, so it makes for a long day. I am sure there are a million worse jobs out there and I have definitely had a few, but for the money, its just not worth it. At least in Brazil. I dont get enough hours to pay the bills but yet I go home feeling like I worked a 60 hour week.

For sure Asia would have something better to offer you, but make sure you know exactly what you are getting yourself in to! lol. I thought teaching English would have been amazing and was really excited before I got here, but it hasnt been easy. The fact that Emirates was recruiting here was like a miracle to me since it was something I had always wanted to do and I even did an interview once back in Toronto, but didnt make it. I even found out about the interview from one of my students, interestingly enough. And then, I actually made it, which is still amazing to me and even better, my husband made it too. I know that Emirates is going to be tough and eventually we may get tired of it, but with how much we love to travel, its an opportunity we just cant give up.

Good luck with your decision, all the best!