PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2006, 22:42
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westhawk:

you mention: <Rather, the news media of all countries appear to have their own editorial agendas. In general, it is my belief that they are self serving.>

I would like to understand the above better.

To those in Brazil:

I appreciate your efforts to send out the information you are getting and can fully understand how difficulties and nuances in translation can be misunderstood.

Thank you again for trying to keep us informed.

I do think some of us remember the 1979 Swissair/Athens thing .

for those who would like a briefing on the SWISSAIR situation:
http://yarchive.net/air/airliners/greek_courts.html

I know of very few honorable press members who don't want to find out the truth. In the very fast paced world of broadcast journalism, one can go up the wrong path quite visibly to the viewer in a rush to the truth. To just report that two planes collided and 155 died is not enough, one must offer speculation as to how something could happen...always indicating that speculation is just what it is...

I recall the seaplane accident in Miami and I speculated on structural failure...within 5 days that type of plane was grounded for inspection of metal fatigue. Sometimes putting stuff out quickly, makes the whole aviation/govt. community at least think.

Perhaps by talking of transponder problems, whether mechanical or intentional, will alert even one pilot or controller to monitor things a bit closer.

Coverage will drop off , usually a story is good for 5 days and that is it. I hope our fellow aviators in Brazil will keep us posted.

jon