PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2006, 22:25
broadreach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westhawk, your most recent post would indicate that most of us agree on the basics. Like Alemaobaiano I live in Brazil, speak Portuguese and understand certain nuances in the language which might not be immediately apparent in a babelfish translation. He and others on Pprune, and I, have tried to present what we glean from the press without prejudice.

I may have contributed to your annoyance at the press by providing free translations of some of the press reports. Without bias and, I hope, without editorialising. If I have, though, I apologise to you and to all and will take greater care in future.

We all know press coverage quality varies tremendously; you see good and awful coverage in the same newspaper. That's not just in Brazil, it's anywhere. Xenophobia appears in some of the coverage just as it would had the geographic location and nationalities been reversed. But right now it's all you have to go on. Live with it; filter it out as you would had the accident occurred in the US, or you run the risk of applying the same blanket condemnation you might appear to be accusing others of.

Having said that, your ire against the press pales in comparison with that on local aviation fora!

Back to basics and a few things I think you can count on:
a) a fair investigation and no coverup.
b) the Legacy crew will be hotel-bound here until their role in the accident is established OR the US embassy can guarantee their return for further depositions.
c) press coverage will quickly disappear; there is plenty of other excitement going on including a presidential election in its second round. Whatever press coverage does appear is likely to be less sensational, based on accident investigation releases or leaks if any.