PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2006, 21:06
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alemaobaiano:

My comments regarding the quality and nature of the press reports coming out of Brasil are not intended as indictment of your country, it's culture or it's people. I critisize these press accounts upon the same basis as I would any reporting anywhere. Perhaps something gets lost in the translation, but the stories I've read started off with a presumption of some malfeasance and culpability on the part of the Legacy crew from the outset and has continued unbroken since. As far as I am aware, none of the accusations made against them by the press have been verified by any independant objective source to date. Their representations of technical matters concerning the operation of aircraft, the ATC system and the rules pertaining to same are poorly researched, and in some instances, wrong. Go back and read the stories and you may come to see my point.

If any similar suspicion has been cast on the GOL crew by the press, or by any statements attributed to any government official, I have not seen it. From my perspective, this indicates an editorial bias intended to create certain impressions in the minds of the readers. My initial impression of the objectivity and ethical fidelity of the press reports I refer to is based upon these observations.

To the credit of government officials involved with the investigation, they have been very careful not to make public statements which might later reflect poorly upon their credibility. This is as it should be. I agree with you that the behavior of the press is consistent with what is expected in a great many places around the world, including the USA. As to Mr. Sharkey's impressions of the safety and security of the Legacy crew as they remain in the country by court order, it seemed to me to be somewhat melodramatic too. I get the impression that the whole affair was rather a shock to his psyche. Given the manner in which the occupants of the Legacy learned of the scale of the tragedy after surviving the event, this is understandable. More of a first hand personal acount than a journalistic report. Perhaps his words should be taken with this in mind.

I too have confidence that the official investigation will be be properly conducted according to internationaly recognized standards for aviation accident investigation. No reason to believe otherwise.

Now, a few words as to the applicabilty and importance of Mr. Lepore's pilot credentials. Of course the matter of whether he has recieved the EMB type rating and associated training bears upon his qualification to act as a required crewmember. An FAA airmen registry search does not necessarily reflect recently issued airman certificates. Updates to the registry are performed periodically. It can take 60-120 days to process newly issued certificates and they may not be reflected on the FAA website until processing and issuance of the new permanent certificate has been completed. I have not seen any reports indicating what certificates have been shown to investigating officials. Just the report regarding the lack of a certificate being reflected on the FAA website accessible registry search utility. BIG difference.

This is just one of many cases of press reports which display a lack of care and concern with truth as a central goal in the reporting. These stories appear to be filled with assertations made which are based on half-truths, hearsay and yes, innuendo. Is there any reason why the press may prefer to cover this event in a way that creates certain perceptions? I leave that for each person to decide for themselves. I am niether shocked by this, nor do I think it is limitied to the Brasillian press. Rather, the news media of all countries appear to have their own editorial agendas. In general, it is my belief that they are self serving.

If the facts, once established, point to improper behavior on the part of the Legacy crew being causal in the accident, I will accept it. Like it or not. I do reject the notion that the press has acted responsibly in their reporting of this matter and I stand by the critical meaning of my statements, provocative as they might be. As a living, thinking human being, you are entitled to believe otherwise and to offer any opinion you wish. There is no requirement that we all agree!

The truth of this matter will emerge over time, Like it or not!

Best regards,

Westhawk