PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2006, 15:54
Time Out

PPRuNe Time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to Reuters the 7 guys kidnapped from Esa Akpan are in good health
I wonder what their source is. It would be great if it is true.

Kidnappings for ransom are common in the Niger Delta and hostages are usually released unharmed after money changes hands
I worry that if people think "it'll be alright, it always is" or similar, they may become complacent. This is not a shot at you, Tom, it's just a concern I have.

There are no standards or rules adhered to by the kidnappers and even if "most" of these situations are resolved with hostages released unharmed, there is no guarantee.

Each minute, hour, day would seem like an eternity to those involved. Those kidnapped have no certainty of a successful outcome and anyway, right now they are captives and have to deal with that.

Naturally we all want these situations to resolve and fit the commonly expected pattern of "all's well that ends well" but it is those expectations that fuel my concern. Do the negotiators have such expectations? Do such expectations affect the way the negotiations are run? Are the negotiators alert to signs that a particular kidnapping might be different from previous ones? Will they adjust to any differences?

These situations are certainly serious.

My thoughts are with those involved.