PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 5th Oct 2006, 13:32
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creampuff

The document to which you refer has been sitting right on top of my desk since the day it was released and;

http://rrp.casa.gov.au/meeting/meet_...ClassofOps.pdf

is IMHO one of the single most important and fundamental rationales to come out of the system in decades.

It finally sets the foundation for the alignment of our regs with those of the rest of the world and unravels the safety agenda appropriate to the different types of operations.

No longer will private aviation have to carry nor can a rational rationale be sustained that demands the same regulatory burden as for public transport.

It opens the pathway for self more regulation by private owners where it is appropriate and concentrating of the safety resources where the public place their trust and trust the Government = Regulator to look after their interests.

The root of it is in the concept of informed consent and who is responsible for it.

In more or less one fell swoop, if that is possible, it cuts through the mish mash of the regs on regs that have over the decades of meddling, like topsy, just growed. I keep talking about Gordian Knots and if there is a sword or thing that has cut it then this is it.

If you stand right back and look at it you'll see what I mean.

The Minister and the Director? Well, you only have to look at the moumental task involved in the sorting out of wheat from chaff. You can't send everybody in the tumbrels to the guillotine because they came from the old guard without almost totally losing the plot.

I've said before slowly but surely, the timetable is set by the available resources and governance process, not by when we expect it should be.
If we do it any other way we'll be right back in the tumbrel so to speak.

I think we might be closer to the end than we think, as long as we take care in regenerating the system.