PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2006, 06:37
aimscabinet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midair

Originally Posted by Johnbr
Are you guys aware that teams from Boeing and NTSB have been sent to Brazil,to cooperate in the investigation?So I guess there will be no cover up for any mistake form anybody in this accident...Furthermore,I ask you people,what do you think the Brazilian authoirities should do,when there is a suspicion that those Legacy pilots could have been responsible for the death of 165 people?Give them a slap in the wrist and wave'em goodbye?

Certainly the Boeing folks will be there; not sure about the NTSB guys.
Accidents in Brazil were investigated by the Air Force teams following international procedures and often, asked for assistance from other international agencies, if that was the case.
Never heard of anybody being jailed for causing an air crash; however, if I am not mistaken (I am not an attorney), the Brazilian Penal Code caters for two types of homicides: "Culposo" (intention to cause someone's death), and "Doloso" (there was no intention, such as negligence or something).
The civilian authorities could use the Penal Code to charge the crew with the second option above, if they were to be found guilty in a court of law. Justice is tradionally slow in that part of the world and it could take years to get things done.
The Air Force investigators would just issue the results of their findings and it would be up to the civilians to take any action.

(note my past tense ... I can only talk about how things were twenty years ago, when I lived there).