PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 5th Oct 2006, 03:55
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freedom of expression

"The freedom of the press still furnishes that check upon government which no constitution has ever been able to do".-Chicago Tribune.

The freedom of expression that democracy is supposed to protect does not exist in military organisations, or aviation. It's plain to see in the military, but is disguised in aviation. However, almost everyone in aviation is required to front up for regular tests which can destroy their whole career. Hardly any will speak out, or take any action.

This juggernaut, this battleship, this elephant in the lounge room that we call CASA is a very expensive monster which has difficulty changing direction. It iappears to be either disfunctional, or manipulative-probably both.. And it is controlled (if it can be controlled) by politicians, lawyers and beaurocrats in Canberra. Its' main purpose is to protect the government from legal challenges relating to aviation.

Don't get me wrong. We must have rules, and we must have a regulator, and we may not like some of the things they do. There are some good people in CASA. In recent times they have recruted some experienced GA pilots for the GA sector, which is a big improvement. But these people cannot actually affect anything. They just tick boxes and send things to Canberra.

The systems are innefficient and cumbersome. And very expensive.
Let's look at the Public liability insurance the operators have to have. I don't complain about the need for it, but the process. We have to get the insurance from an insurance company, then get a certificate of compliance from the insurance company, but that is not good enough. We then have to send the certificate of compliance to CASA, and they then send us a certificate of compliance. They have their own insurance section, which talks to the insurance companies. Surely there is a better way. A simpler, less cumbersome one.

And the medical certificates that pilots have to have. The dame ticks the boxes. It's all spelled out in great detail, and submitted on line. The computer can check whether the right boxes are ticked. If they are, why can't the dame issue a medical certificate. The computer can print one.
Are CASA going to deny the certificate for reasons other than medical ones? Are the dames not competent? Surely they are.
Medical certificates are necessary, but surely it can be done better.

And AOC's. Issued for three years???? My "compliant" charter company had 18 AOC's in 13 years and we only ever did charter in piston aircraft below 5700 kg's. Is all this costly waffle necessary?. Surely there is a more efficient way. Every time you have a visit from an FOI you get told to rewrite part of your ops manual.

The CASA critics are not just "self funded retiress". Most people who have been in GA for more than a few years are very critical of CASA. Many vote with their feet.
I often seriously wonder about the motivation of some of the CASA people.

People in the industry do not speak out. They always have further approvals to get.
But the "self funded retirees" can speak without fear, and usually with wisdom. I believe they have a responsibility to speak out. The others are reluctant to expose themselves.

"The freedom of the press still furnishes that check upon government which no constitution has ever been able to provide."