PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast- Nuts Corner?
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2006, 22:01
Aussie Andy
PPruNaholic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: Newtownards

Aussie Andy maybe able to advise as he was there earlier this year.
What a cracking little airfield Newtownards is! There are plenty of runways for various wind directions, its very easy to find (at the top of the lough, and just below the highly visible Scrabo Tower, so you can't miss it!), and best of all the service was great and the people friendly! And the approach over the sea-wall on short final (RWY34?) was buttock-clenching fun the first time, but not "challenging"... I can't advise on public transport, but would imagine taxi or rental car would be the way to go if on business. Others have given plenty of detail above.

The main downside for Newtownards airfield is that the wx is essentially sh1te as often as not in N.I. (sorry to my cousins there, no offence intended! ) so if you are suitably qualified and current (I am the former, but not the latter!) then Belfast City is convenient for an ILS if the worst comes to the worst. But beware, last I saw Belfast City were NOTAMing that they have NO AVGAS...

Absolute no-brainer: Newtownards is the airfield you want. I look forward to my next trip to Newtownards!

Andy