PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 3
Thread: Ryanair - 3
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2006, 15:21
Rev Thrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RogerIrrelevant69
OK Rev Thrust, benefit of the doubt I'd say for now....
Thanks

By the way I (and I'm sure regular FR victims/customers will agree) was not really that surprised when the savings did not come through as promised. I was pretty cynical about this too but I do have optimist tendencies - although I can't imagine why.
I have them myself, sometimes... I almost invariably end up regretting having had them, though!

Actually found this link with all sorts of promises made about this. Interestingly none of the important ones are kept: fare reduction of 9%, 15kg allowance (20kg promised), €10 each way (€3.50 promised), etc, etc.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....=gen-en-250106
My missus dug me out the self-same link (just after I'd posted last), and I've been reading it myself to see what's what, in the light of hindsight. As I expected, the devil is, as always, in the detail. The key bits being:

"As a result of these changes, those 25% of Ryanair’s passengers who presently travel with just hand luggage will avail of lower fares..." (my bold) Isn't that another way of saying "anyone who isn't travelling with just hand luggage, is going to get stiffed"?

In your case, it's unfortunate that you've described your ticket price as being "between €80 and €90" in the old days, because, of course, that €10 gap easily covers any potential €3.50 'saving' or fee twice over, and my guess is (given the way these cut-price lines change their prices even within the same day, depending on loadings, etc) it's impossible to detect whether the 9% reduction has actually been applied. A like for like comparison is presumably the only way (and no doubt, that will have been rendered impossible by changes to schedule timings since Jan, etc)

Just out of curiousity... this up-to-15kg of baggage you're checking in... is it ONE bag, or two? Cos it's pretty clear (well, relatively clear once one has deciphered the double-speak in the press-release), that if you're checking in two bags, you can expect a price hike. In theory, if you're checking in just one bag, you could've expected 'no change'... but...

More to the point, it would seem evident that only those folks doing their check-in via the web will remain at the old price, and then, only if they're web-checking-in just one bag.

Everyone who brings a bag to the desk, and checks it in there, is going to get stiffed for an extra €7.00 per bag, each way - and presumably, that's a 'pre-tax' figure (though I am just guessing, uber-cynically, here!) Is that where the €20 hike you're referring to, actually comes in? If you're not rounding up for effect (which is fine by me, btw!), then maybe it's the ol' "ex-VAT" cobblers that these rotters love to stitch us up with, rearing its ugly head again?

Certainly, it does seem that the increases are greater than espoused at the time of the press-release, but that's probably not a difficult 'promise' to wriggle out of. Increased costs, security-alerts, etc, will all be tools in Molly's defensive armoury, no doubt. Besides, it was a 'warning', really, not a 'promise', and as such, everyone (apart from those going naked with just hand-luggage and a web-booked ticket) were actually just being warned that prices were RISING, not falling, in real terms.

As for the lack of increase in baggage allowance weights, yeah, that's pretty obviously not happened. Is it a broken promise? Well, yeah, but of course it'll be another soapy whitewash that Molly will slip out of with "plausible deniability" and blame-shifting onto some third party, no doubt. I fully expect some explanation to surface later, which somehow manages to convince us all (momentarily) that actually Molly was being a jolly good egg, cos what the CAA really wanted to do was reduce our baggage allowance down to the weight of two pencils and a pair of pants, but jolly old Molly managed to at least keep things the way they were... albeit for a price!

Rotten stinky old world, innit?