PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2006, 08:59
cessna l plate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad Bear
Let me tell you a story, are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin

In 1991 or 15 years ago, whichever you like, my parents bought me a trial lesson. I immediately, and totally fell in love with aviation, and joined the club on the spot. I had another hour the week after and was looking forwards to training as a pilot.

2 days later the boss calls us all in the office, "times are hard" "end of the summner season" and so-on, and we all had our 40 hour week cut to about 25 on a good week. There were other pulls on my finances at that time, although being 21 they more of the "birds and booze" variety. 12 months later I lost the job, and spent 6 months on the dole, followed by 5 years in the employment wilderness trying different careers, some paid good money, but I spent all that repaying debts I run up when on the dole.

Flying never really left me, it just got shoved to the back of my brain. I met a girl, we got married, had a daughter, all the usual pulls on the money we all suffer from. Fast forward to 2001, and I decided I wanted a hobby. After nearly collapsing at the local golf club when they told me about the membership fee I thought "that's half a ppl". It then struck me, that's what I love, go for it!

So I did, I joined a club in 2002 and started training. Took me ages to get my head around stalling and circuits but got there in the end. Move to 2003 Then one night, after having a word with a neighbour about his noisy dog, I awoke to find my motor on fire outside the house. The financial manager of our house declared that we had to move, in hindsight a sensible thing to do really. Bought a new house (bigger of course) moved in the day after my first solo. Bigger house means more money, guess what suffered?

Moving to today, our daughter is no longer in a nursery that cosrs half a wage packet every month, and I can afford some more training. Having retired from being a DJ, when I can sell my equipment it will pay off the credit card bill I am currently running up. I will finish my training this time, it has taken 15 years from start to finish, and post ppl, save for a few hours flying freinds and family about to showcase my new found skills, the money will dry up again. I know it will, but occasionally there will be something in the pot for an hour here and there.

The moral of this story, don't beat yourself up. As for "affording" flying, none of us can afford it, justifying it is a different matter. It doesn't matter how long it takes. For me it has been a journey of 15 years since I first climbed into a GA plane, but I will get there. And if I never fly again post ppl (which I hope wll not happen) I will have acheived something in life that doesn't involve earning money. If for no other reason than it is one of life's great challenges, go for it, as and when you can afford it. When the money runs out, just stop. Start again when you have some more money, you will be surprised how much you will remember!

Whatever you do, good luck!!