PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar
Thread: Jetstar
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2006, 06:06
priapism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tzenin,

Where do I start? Firstly, I don't work for Jet* , Q.F, Vb. I am out of the industry and enjoying another career so I am now regular SLF and a keen observer of the industry I was a part of ,in various guises, for 20 years.

From this unbiased and external perspective I can appreciate how keen and excited you are to be starting a new career with a new international venture but I post this to tell you that , from what you say , your award is harsh and unreasonable.

The duty hours you tell us about are arduous , even with the rest periods between them. You have just got to realise how tiring and draining flying is.
The air quality within a cabin is stale at best . You will be working long hours in a cabin atitude of approximately 7500 feet . The constant disruption to your circadian rhythm ( please do a web search and read all about this ) leaves you tired and run down . - 8 days off in 28 is insufficient for even the healthiest person to recover from. Being run down like that means becoming much more succeptable to ILLNESS which F/A's are sitting ducks for anyway due to the poor air conditioning on even the most modern of aircraft.
How much sick leave are they going to give you? How will you feel when you get called in for "counselling" after using it all up and more? Don't expect any sympathy.

No mention of any buffers around your days off - can you finish at midnight before your days off then start at 0400 after them? Can you have single days off or do they have to be grouped? How much annnual leave are you getting ?
Do you have any say in when you can take it? Any rostering flexibility ?

I'm sure that there are many more finer, but important conditions, that other ppruners can add.

From what you can tell me these work conditions are draconian and unsustainable in the long term.

Oh, by the way , one of my ex colleagues , now has a managerial postion with Jet* ( mainly concerned with cabin crew ) . She has had years of experience both as domestic and International crew ( not with Q.F may I add ) " On the record" - she tows the company line with regards to the jet* international conditions . Off the record she admits that , even as a young girl , she would not last long working those hours internationally OR domestically.

If you were getting paid well for the harsh conditions it may make up for something , but you have sold yourself very cheaply to the Australian aviation industry. From what I am reading your domestic counterparts are getting paid substantially more than you for better conditions-and that is an injustice in itself.

What is going to happen when your award comes up for negotiation ?
This mob are going to drive for even more productivity for a couple of percent a year pay rise . What is there left to give ? More duty hours? Less days off? Less rest between shifts? Perhaps you could then start sharing accomodation? If you don't concede something-no pay rise !

I hope you can last a while in your new and exciting role . I truly fear that, when the novelty of the new job wears off , you will be left disillusioned and disappointed. It won't matter if you leave. It will only take 4 weeks to train another young hopeful who will be equally excited about their new career. Jet* know this and will exploit it for all it's worth.

I have a 13 year old daughter who aspires to being a flight attendant.
She has even studied up on wages , conditions and experience needed you need . Even she can see that your award is the harshest in the Australian industry.

After several trips as SLF on various carriers her preference is V.B . - and good luck to her !

Please take no offence at my post , I don't intend to put the hand brake on your excitement , merely point out to you a few realities so will be aware of them as they occur.

Enjoy you new career and enjoy your days off . I now have a career in the health sciences so if you like I can pop around and give you a couple of litres of intravenous isotonic crystalloid solution at the start of them-- you'll need it !

Priapism