PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Photoluminescent Floor Path Lighting
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2006, 01:46
nnc0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photoluminescent Floor Path Lighting

Anybody using this stuff?

We're installing it on some of our aircraft but I'm a bit worried about the legality of boarding passengers in the morning without it being fully functional.

For those who don't know what it is just think of radium dial watches -glows in the dark after light exposure. The typical battery powered floor path emer exit lights are replaced by these glow in the dark strips, totally autonomous from aircraft power.

The specs says the light strips need to be charged for 15 minutes under full bright cabin lighting, with bin doors closed and no passengers on board. Operationally, on a 6:00 am departure, using a bird thats been dark all night, that requirement isn't exactly convenient, particularly if we have a last minute substitution. The manufacturer doesn't provide specs for a lesser charging period so cabin crew need to be on the plane 15 minutes before the passengers board to turn the lights on.

I'm reluctant to shorten the 15 minute wait because I'd be faced with the issue of boarding pax without a fully functional emer lts sytem.

Any experiences to share?

Last edited by nnc0; 4th Oct 2006 at 03:05.