PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Query on Vulcan/Falklands War?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 23:22
brickhistory

Originally Posted by SASless
..that are willing to turn the keys and set loose those Demons scares me to death. I cannot imagine setting in a missile silo for a full twenty year career....drilling repeatedly like Pavlov's Dog....and then be given a chance to set one of the things off. Then doing it....that kind of mindset scares me more than a little.
I don't reckon I would pass the interview for that kind of job.
Hey, I did it, not for 20, but for 4 1/2 and I'm not warped (The lights are so pretty.........and who needs acid when you can crank up some Pink Floyd at 0200L and listen to the hum of the electronics

Seriously, nobody sat ICBM alert for more than 1-2 tours over a 20 year set, unlike the SAC bomber/tanker guys.

Key turning? Obviously, thought long and hard about it, but would have done it. Back then, the bad ol' Russkis were the only game in town so I really did think that if I had to turn keys, their warheads were already inbound.

MAD worked, as insane as it was. But it depended on both sides not wanting to risk the ultimate dice throw. I believe that Armydinnerjacket (stole that line from somebody....) would use his on Israel or elsewhere if he gets the chance.

I'd fully support a statement: "It shall be the policy of the United States to consider a nuclear attack on Israel or one elsewhere originating from Iran or North Korea as a direct attack upon the United States and will bring a devestating, immediate response."

But that's just me.

And now back to your originally scheduled thread.......