PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Query on Vulcan/Falklands War?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 21:42
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
Following your logic then Pont....the little Twerp in Tehran better not make too much noise then. If you folks even remotely thought about Nuking the Argies over a bunch of sheep clear at the other end of the world....then Bananabread is in deep trouble what with the Cowboy riding point for the world herd.

I think with the actual clarity that all these years of hind sight provide us, we know Nukes were not a real option for the Falklands. The Argies never guessed you Brits would be as hardnosed about a bit of trespassing as you were. They certainly did not prepare to defend the place as they should....and discovered there is a wee bit of difference between talking harshly and dealing harshly with the British military.

WWII American surplus Cruisers sure don't stand up to Nukey Subs for sure.

As proven, you folks had the ability to whip them with conventional arms and did so quite nicely.

Never had my arm up a nukes butt as you describe....but oddly enough have been involved in guarding things we never wish to see turned loose ever. I will freely admit the concept of an all out nuclear war is something I do not even care to contemplate. To know there are people in this world on both sides or should I say all sides now...that are willing to turn the keys and set loose those Demons scares me to death. I cannot imagine setting in a missile silo for a full twenty year career....drilling repeatedly like Pavlov's Dog....and then be given a chance to set one of the things off. Then doing it....that kind of mindset scares me more than a little.

I don't reckon I would pass the interview for that kind of job.