PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatics, the PFA and the PPL
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 21:41
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sir.pratt
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-71546992.htm
can't take your mates in it though!!
the thing with the S1 is that mostly they are 0320 powered, and fixed prop, whereas the S2 can have up to an O540 at 300hp in it, with CSU, and is frankly a piston powered jet fighter!
Close, Sir P, but not quite accurate.

Most S-1s you find are Ds or Ss, both with some variation of the O-360 and fixed pitch prop. The prop can make a huge difference. I've got an MT 63" pitch on mine and it goes like stink. Mate had a 61" pitch and it was noticeably slower.

The most common S-2 is the S-2A with a 200hp O-360 and, in some peoples' minds, is the best of the S-2 bunch. The S-2B and C have 260 hp O-540s but are much bigger and heavier beasts. Each has it's pros and cons. (I think I'm right on the S-2C but could be wrong on that one).

The only 300hp Pitts I know of is the S-1-11, the single seat Super Stinker. Goes like a bat out of hell but, according to reports, doesn't actually aerobat any better than an S-1T or and S-2B (though I haven't been able to prove that myself)

I'd be a bit weary of taking on a Pitts without a decent amount of tailwheel time (and I mean in the circuit, not trundling cross country), but then I could just be a wuss. I had 150 hours tailwheel, mostly in the circuit, before I got into a Pitts and I was ready for, but still struck by, the Fred Astair routine on landing.

Pitts2112