PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Survivor's Guide to Plane Crashes - BBC Horizon (MERGED)
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 20:58
drichard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interestng, it explained some of the rationale - such as the dimming of cabin lights during landings at night so as to allow your eyes to adjust to outside light levels (just in case).

One thing struck me, at Oaklahoma city, the cabin was inverted and one of the survivors said she was looking for the emergency lighting at her feet (but it was above her so she couldn't see it). How about a single strip of emergency lighting in the ceiling to aid in this scenario. If just one life is saved, it'll be worthwhile.

There was little advice as to how to cope with swimming in jet-fuel (following a ditching), apart from trying not to swallow it, does anyone have any clues?

Air bags in seatbelts? This is a good idea in theory, but in practice I wonder about twisted belts (firing the bag into the passenger), explosives in the seat (to generate CO2 for filling the bags), false triggers etc etc etc.

One thing struck me at the end was the "everyman for himself" thought. If travelling in a group, agree to meet outside and not try to get out as one.

I loved the concept of counting seat rows, I will be doing that religeously from now on.

I'll leave the rest of the comments to the pro's

Dave