PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR RT in Spanish - Guide needed
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 18:34
172driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by italianjon
I would like to try to find a guide to allow me to state my intentions at uncontrolled airfields where blind calls need to be made. I am aware that most people who use these use their own national language - I in no way wish to start requesting or sending clearances in anything other than English...
italianjon, I fly there a lot and, alas, a lot of the RT is indeed in Spanish. Not great at times for situational awareness However, you'll find that at most small fields everyone immediately switches to English, when 'El Ingles' makes his first call. There are some exceptions to this where some tossers insist on verbal flag-waving, but by and large no probs. Only suggestion I'd have, IF approaching a small field, start making your calls a little further out than you'd normally do. That gives all parties involved time to mentally adjust to the fact that there's now a plane with a non-native speaker in the area.

You can also try the AENA website

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?pa.../Home_NavAerea

You need to register (free), but this gives you the whole AIP in Spanish and English. Don't have time to check now, but there may be a pilot-controller glossary in there.

Enjoy the chat on frequency