PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBE Sponsorship 2007
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 17:28
high-hopes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyweaver

I just hope that whoever got through instead of me deserved to, and that its not just a case of them being slightly better at maths than I am. In common with most of the rest of you, I've worked bloody hard towards achieving my life-long goal of becoming a commercial pilot and it annoys me when I go to these sponsorship things and talk to other people there who clearly don't really know all that much about aviation and aren't really that bothered about a career as a pilot. You must know the kind of people I mean, the ones that are just finishing uni, looking for a job and just fancy the sound of a flying career; or the ones that don't know the difference between an integrated and modular course; or the ones that are surprised when you tell them that BA don't do sponsorships any more.
I know what you mean, it is frustrating, but it's the airlines' and flight schools fault, by making this a business, and not a real search for skilled individuals.
There's far too many sponsorships around where the applicants have to pay 100% of the training (plus interest). It has become a business, and as such, those are the consequences.

I would have loved to apply for the flybe scheme, but there's no way I could (and would) be able to pay 40 grand in advance.

Not to mention the selection test fees. A company is looking for a candidate that meets the requirements, and invest in selection for finding them. Why should the candidates pay for it ? HR people and recruiters are paid to do that job. You'll find that companies looking for really skilled people will have free selection, and will also refund you for your travel expenses.

I am sure that, just like me, many wannabes with maybe potential and true interest and passion, were put off the idea of applying, and eventually didn't ! Not surprising, then, to find candidates that don't seem to be that interested.