PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Insurance: Life, Loss of Licence, Sickness etc (NOT hull insurance)
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 16:23
2Sticks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Life insurance premiums loaded for heli pilots - are we that likely to die?!

OK chaps,
I'm a low time PPL(H) with about 100 hours. I apply for a Life Insurance Policy of over £1m and am told the premium is around £300/month. I then fill in a form and tick the box that says I fly rotary for recreation - I'm not asked for any details of how many hours I fly. Elsewhere on the form, I'm asked about other types of flying e.g. microlighting, gliding, parachuting etc and in these sections you're asked how many hours you've completed (about 200 in my case). My broker then gets a call saying that the premium will be double because I fly helicopters. At this point, I've not revealed how many hours a year I plan to fly. Does anyone know whether the fact is that I'm twice as likely to die as a result of being a heli pilot based on some real actuarial statistics, or is it just a case of a misinformed industry who think that helicopters must be inherently unsafe? Additionally, am I a better risk to them if I fly less (less opportunity to crash but more likely owing to less experience) or if I fly more (more opportunity to crash but less likely owing to more experience) - not that they've asked of course?!
2Sticks