PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - LHR
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 16:00
keeperboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying_Sarah747
I've been on 4 months compassionate leave and should be starting back in November, and have to say I've had too much on my plate to look into BA issues since I've been away, so all this is quite worrying for me! Can anyone shed any more light on this new sickness policy for me? Has it changed since the first implementation of it? Also what's this merging of new and old contracts about? I think I've totally missed that one.
Is there likely to be a strike in the near future?? I can't believe what's happened 4 months.
Changes to the sickness policy: There are now so many Worldwide LHR crew that have triggered 'stage 1' on the EG300 process (1,500!!) and waiting for their interview with the attendance unit that the company can't cope. It is in the agreement that we are entitled to union representation during the return to work interview. As BASSA say they only have time to attend 4 interviews per day, you can work out the maths when there are 1500 crew waiting to be represented!! Management have now CHANGED the process, saying that you will be rostered an interview before your first flying duty after calling 'fit'. It is unlikely BASSA will be able to accompany you at such short notice and you may insist of the date being changed. However, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RETURN TO FLYING DUTIES UNTIL YOUR INTERVIEW IS COMPLETES. Thus, if you have to wait 3 weeks til BASSA can find a slot to accompany with you, you will be grounded for that period.

OLD/NEW contract: i attended the BASSA meeting yesterday. Apparently Cabin crew are the only workforce within BA where they have two groups of people, doing the same job, on two different contracts. BASSA want more increments for New Contract crew, merging it with the old contract scale. BA have said they will 'look at it' once the penions issue is sorted.

A strike?? looks VERY possible at the moment, especially over pensions which BASSA and BALPA are apparently quite united on.

The union already has the membership agreemen from yesterdays meeting to issue a strike ballot.

lots of info on the bassa website/forum.