PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VLA, Group A, Microlight, Permit to Fly, C of A, Sport etc...
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 15:38
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MyData
A question for those in the know out there. Can someone explain in simple terms what all the various classifications of GA aircraft means?
I see advertisements from Piper, Cessna, Cirrus etc. followed by the likes of Jaribu etc. At the end of the day they are all aircraft to get us from A-to-B as GA pilots (I'm discounting the fully IFR equiped kit here for serious airways flying). At first glance, why would someone buy one of the more expensive aircraft, and associated ownership costs, when one for a third (or less) can be bought with similar performance?

CofA = ICAO compliant Certificate of Airworthiness, potentially allowing unrestricted international flight and use for training and aerial work.

Permit to Fly = UK only document issued to microlights, amateur builds and warbirds (mostly). Allows VFR private flight in the UK, and generally similar in other countries for short trips, subject to faxed request and permission.

VLA = Very Light Aeroplane, actually means a non-aerobatic 2-seater under 750kg MTOW with a stall speed below 45 knots.

Group-A, this used to be a legal term, is now just generally understood jargon for a single engine, non-microlight, light aeroplane.

Sport Aircraft - an American term, doesn't apply here, it lies somewhere between microlight and VLA.

Microlight - a single seat aeroplane with a maximum take-off weight under 300kg, or a 2-seater with MTOW under 450kg, and a stall speed under 35 knots. Basically these are simple(r) light(er) aeroplanes that are cheaper to own and fly than "Group A". (with a few exceptions on each side).

The main reason for buying a CofA aeroplane as opposed to a PtF aeroplane is the ability to fly IMC and night.

The main reason to buy group A rather than microlight is that you want group A hours (e.g. for an ATPL), more than 2 seats, to fly aerobatics - or just something bigger and more powerful (such as a Yak, Pitts, Arrow...).

As for why 1950s / 1960s designs are so popular? Probably, I'd venture because that's what most pilots learned on, and they are sticking to what they know.

G