PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 14:03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I said it 10 years ago in one of the two links I posted above, and if not, I certainly said it in other posts here on Pprune back then when I was pushing for the adoption of offset tracking, preferably an inbuilt, automatic offset in FMCs at cruising levels. I said then that nothing would change until 300+ North American passengers died. (This was after the USAF C141 hit a Luftwaffe TU154(?) head on off the West African coast in circumstances that might well prove to have been very similar to what led to this tragic crash.)

At the time, I mentioned that a handful of military aviators dead just wasn't enough to shake up the system. I pray to God that 155 South American dead will be enough to force 'The System', (and that 'System' includes all of us), into recognising that ultra accurate IRS/GPS navigation systems have made accidents like this more rather than less likely.

We've had official permission to fly offset over India now for a year or two. I don't believe I have EVER seen ONE other aircraft employing offset tracking in all the time it's been allowed, and I know of very few people who actually use it in trans Atlantic airspace (NATS) unless it's to avoid wake turbulence of an aircraft immediately ahead.