PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 12:25
roturb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you often get resistance when a paradigm shift is required. With increased navigation accuracy, the performance of the entire system needs also to be improved so that the increased accuracy can't ensure that two aircraft will be EXACTLY in the same space at the same time. TCAS (assuming it is actually fitted and working) only goes part way and is expensive. Lateral offsets will also assist. But what is really needed is a paradigm shift with 'surveillance' where it is no longer an 'eye in the sky' (i.e.ATC) but the pilots themselves that know exactly where other aircraft are in relation to their own and can plan ahead, rather than take last minute evasive actions based on third parties or TCAS. So what we need is 'surveillance' in the cockpit i.e. ATC-like information on traffic displays with ALL aircraft suitable equipped. Coupled with this is mutual ATC-pilot and pilot-pilot 'rules' as to how to behave (i.e. like TCAS does). And the technology must be affordable and in ALL aircraft. I beleive there is real urgency to deliver this technology to cockpits and overcome political issues such as funding and equipment mandates.
As they say, if you think safety is expensive...