PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wall Street Journal reports on BA 747 3 engine LAX-MAN flight
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 10:46
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jondc9

I offer this quote from the first post on this thread...what do YOU MAKE OF THIS QUOTE:?

< He next told the controller, "We have now shut down the No. 2 engine. We are going to consult our company and see what they require us to do.">
Well what I make of that quite is he spoke to the engineers (who will be your first port of call) to see if they were required to return to LAX. Having been given the all clear to continue he then elected to do so off his own bat.

Originally Posted by Rananim
With all due respect,the facts quite clearly support a contrary opinion to the one that most posters appear to have on this forum.He should have diverted.
Clearly they don't. The CAA don't think so. The AAIB don't think so. BA don't think so. Most of the posters here don't think so. Most of the trainers in BA don't think so. I don't think so. I'm surprised you can dismiss such a wealth of expertise on this subject and come to a conclusion which is clearly contrary to the evidence.

BA have a good reputation and the FAA dont have the cooperation of the CAA.They have the promise that such a decision will not be taken again in their airspace so they've dropped it.
They have had no such promise - that is nothing more than media spin. The reality is that the FAA have been told to 'butt out', not just by the CAA but also by their own technical experts and have skulked away with their tail between their legs.