PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Wings
Thread: PPL Wings
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 10:39
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Confabulous
Not really. My brother recently told me he thinks pilots are arrogant, opinionated and snobbish. Now we know that's not remotely true in 99% of cases, but the occasional one will take it a little bit too far. I'd be worried in case someone starts wearing the wings in public -wearing them in an aviation environment is fine, and keeping them as a memento of all the hard work you put in is laudable, but as you say, you don't wear them. So there's nothing wrong with wings, just don't wear them in a non-aviation environment is all I say. There is a certain flying club in Ireland whose owner calls himself 'Captain'. He's a PPL. Yes, a PPL is a commander, but not a captain! A 'Wings' ceremony is a really good idea, and should be encouraged, but some people do take the p!ss. Anyway even an ATPL doesn't come with any rank entitlements.
To be perfectly blunt if I was doing aeros I'd wear a flightsuit and helmet and to hell with the sniggering.

Nobody was insinuation rank entitlements or titles in any of the posts.

Wings have signified for decades an individuals achievement in being able to take solo a flying machine in to the air and return to earth safely. i.e they have earned their wings. Wings are totally seperate from any badge of rank.

I think in some (bitter?) manner you are confusing a mark of achievement with a badge of rank.

My grandfather Air Commodore Retd has his original wings awarded to him when he first became a pilot but has kept no badges of rank. He reckons that anyone can get promoted but only the special few have the dedication and motivation to fly.

Not sure what would worry you about people actually wearing the wings? Look a bit silly on your suit or whatever you wear to work!!!