PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interview stuff
Thread: Interview stuff
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 09:00
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaps (and chappesses)

Stop trying to think too deeply about 'the ideal' answer to these questions. Its all about your character and finding out if you are a decent, level headed, HONEST individual who is modest enough to admit to not being perfect and who can make reasonable decisions when faced with some adversity. If you can't see how this would benefit them in employing you as a pilot, then you really are perhaps 'greener' than is required to be in the right seat of a commercial aircraft.

The problem with trying to get an 'idea' about how to frame an answer is that the temptation to 'use' that other persons answer can be great, especially if you are struggling with an answer that is your own. What if they see through you? What if they have heard that 'stock' answer before? You will have blown it.

So Deano777, you have NEVER, EVER lost your temper? You must be an angel, trouble is if you can't back up the fact that you are an angel then the interviewers are going to think that you are not honest enough. I know if I was interviewing you my next question would be "what, you have NEVER lost your temper?" You will have trouble answering 'no' and sounding credible.

In answer to question three, you have done what the vast majority of interviewees do and not answered the question by giving a SPECIFIC example. You have offered a generalised 'yes', which obviously will not be enough, they WILL want a specific example. Why? To find out what you did and find out what your view is on 'going beyond' and that tells them something more about your character.

To answer question four with three strengths that are the same thing (leadership) is missing an opportunity to show them that you are an 'all rounder'. Interesting that you say you are very 'team orientated' and then give three examples of leadership. I would probe a little deeper as an interviewer because without doubt leadership is a desirable quality, but I would be wondering if you could handle NOT being the leader if I employ you as an F/O.

The old cliche "always strive for perfection" is a bit nauseating. Nothing wrong with always trying to do the best job you can, but you have to understand that doing a perfect job very slowly (by the nature of doing a perfect job it takes longer than normal) may not be appropriate in aviation all the time due to time constraints. The interviewer is going to probe deeper to find out if you have a realistic view of the world and understand that your strides for perfection will have to be compromised.

Always putting people before yourself and being very generous is admirable, but will it make you a good captain? Certainly you have to look after your team, but sometimes that includes making unpalatable choices for them. Could you handle that would be my thinking as an interviewer. Again I would probe more deeply.

Be careful with weaknesses. If you get bored easily you had better make sure you are only telling a low-cost shorthaul airline that, as you will be faced with hours of tedious cruise if you do charter or longhaul.... Not being able to come up with any more weaknesses is inherent in people who think positively (another requirement to get a job as a pilot), but it doesn't mean you don't have any more. Again, if you say you haven't got any more then you lack credibility (unless you are pulling off that angelic performance!) The thing about weaknesses is can you identify them in yourself, can you admit to them, and WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ABOUT THEM! If you say you strive for perfection then you should have corrected the weaknesses! Can you see the minefield that you can potentially put yourself in if your answers don't 'add up'?

Oh dear, answer number five is another one; how about not getting so easily bored when faced with repetitive tasks Deano?

Answer number six is the 'stock' book answer. Great, you know not to break ANY rules, ideal world. Safety in aviation is NEVER compromised, but if you claim to have NEVER broken or bent any rules then you are probably lying. For instance, I didn't do my fluorescent jacket up on the ramp yesterday, despite there being another company notice about jackets, ear defenders, flasjing orange beacons for pilot hats etc etc. Innoccuous, probably, but I bent the rules. Can you see that saying that you have NEVER bent ANY rule can come accross as incredible? What about away from the workplace? NEVER broken the speed limit? Never crossed at a crossing when the red man was showing? What they are looking for is someone who follows the rules (SOPs), but who can still make decisions and perhaps break the SOPs if they have to. It's all about ability to think clearly and make sensible decisions based with what is occuring, not necessarily just being able to recite the good book according to the company DFO.

Nice answer to seven, can't argue with that, BUT, tell them about a time when YOU showed good leadership, that's what they are really asking, not what the theory is.

So I am not trying to knock you Deano and you do say at the end that you would elaborate, but for everyone else reading you need to understand that you have to think about YOU and YOUR qualities, not just a stock answer and ALWAYS remember that they want to hear about when YOU showed the qualities that they are asking about, tell them 'when I did this....', not 'if I was in that position I would...' BE SPECIFIC.

So to answer lucky_strike, what they are after is the characteristics that you possess, your experience and how you can apply it. If they ask about what makes a good leader/ captain etc, what they mean is 'would you make a good captain for us'? The only way you can PROVE that is to tell them about your leadership/ captaincy skills. If you have never been a captain it doesn't matter; tell them about when you have been the leader of something, be it Boy Scouts, Forces, manager in another job, charitable work etc etc.

When they ask about weaknesses and failures they are getting to your core and finding out if you are the sort of character who knows their weaknesses and who either just accepts them or strives to do something about them. What's the relevance? Well during your first big type rating you will experience a very steep learning curve. If you struggle with something do you accept a lower standard, or give up, or do you recognise the problem yourself (without your instructor having to go on and on about it) and take some action to get to grips with it?

It's not rocket science, but you really need to give it some thought before any interview as an ill prepared candidate will fall into their own trap. Remember, the interviewers WANT you to pass, but reality is that many candidates will trip up and fail themselves. It is all about RISK. Risk for the employer in trying to employ the best candidate(s) and RISK for the interviewee to minimise the chance of failing before the job offers are handed out. You can manage your RISK by being fully prepared.

Good luck.

PP