PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 05:39
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Mr.Sharkey's account of events as experienced from his perspective is quite a read indeed. His description of his interaction with the flightcrew and fellow passengers is completely consistent with normal flying interupted by (to them) a completely random and unexpected event. His visit to the cockpit, and recollection of the idicated altitude of 37,000' moments before the collision is interesting. I presume he is well aware of the import of that statement.

On a related note, I was unaware that flight over the Amazon region is still conducted at non RVSM flight levels for direction of flight. Now I know. I tend to agree with some other posters that a "tipping point" has been reached in the matter of the "cowboy antics" theory of this accident. The recovery of the data from both aircraft's data and voice recorders will put the final nail in that coffin and finally put that irresponsible and inflammatory rumor to rest.

Once it has been established just who was cleared to do what by whom, the matter of the TCAS and what, if any warning was or was not provided to either or both crews in time to avoid a collision will become a primary matter of focus. If indeed no warning was recieved by either crew, the angle of the sun probably provided the GOL crew the best opportunity to see the other aircraft, perhaps indicating that a last second avoidance maneuver was attempted, consistent with one of the theories regarding the relative attitudes of the aircraft at the point of collision. Time and investigation will tell.

As to the matter of the main gear position after the Boeing came to rest, Examination of the uplocks themselves will likely indicate whether they simply failed in overload or were released by other means. The CVR may not be easy to listen to for those unfortunate enough to find it their duty. I have heard just one such unedited post-crash CVR audio and would not care to repeat the experience. I tend not believe that the currently available evidence supports that any contact took place between the Legacy wing and the Boeing cockpit. I picture them fighting to the end, however long that took. Whoever listens to that audio will likely be the first to know.

The NTSB has today assembled a team consisting of three NTSB accident investigators, and representatives of the FAA and the Boeing company to assist in the investigation, in accordance with ICAO procedures.

This will certainly be worth following. The spectre of mid-air collision should always be in the minds of aviators. Events like this serve to drive that point home. Whatever happened to cause this accident, I wanna know.

Respects to all the victims of this tragedy,

Westhawk