PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots who went on strike let go by PHI
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 00:10
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
Letter Posted at the PHI Union web site

Bert,

My US Air buddy was not looking for sympathy....he clearly stated that but wanted to describe what it feels like to have that happen. The Defined Benefit Plan (company funded pension) was thought to be fully funded and "safe as houses" until the crunch came. He acknowledges he is well off no matter the pension plan failure but still when one thinks all is right with life and this happens.....he deserves a certain amount of concern.

If you will recall, when the Bristow North Sea guys went for the benchmark salary concept, the immediate wail heard from management was they could not fund the pension plan at those levels of pay. Granted they ignored the "investment holidays" over the years when they contributed not one farthing into the pension scheme as their mandatory contribution was covered by the proceeds of the funds investments (and lack of retiree's following layoffs and such).

The last big fight at UPS for the truck drivers involved "control of the medical and pension funds". Any reason why management wanted to take control of the funds? Remember the US Government was a trustee following the Teamster/Mafia problems.

Dateline: 01 October 2006

To the Fine Upstanding Members of Local 108,

As I write from my quiet desk in Lincoln, Nebraska, I remain confounded that in September of 2006, fellow professional helicopters pilots were forced to go out on strike; that, as of this day, fellow professional helicopter pilots continue to strike; and, most troubling of all, that the employers we've so faithfully served throughout the decades- those who enjoy increasingly grander success as the result of our skills and labor- refuse to acknowledge, in even the most basic sense, our contribution to Their unprecedented prosperity.

I'll not waste words convincing those of you standing up for yourselves that you're doing the right thing- you already know this. I would however, with your permission, like to address the sources and true victims of this predicament, as the words will be much better spent.

To the company: know that the time is upon you to make good-faith amends with your dedicated and irreplaceable work force. They are your most valuable resource and the very reason the company exists; despite your wildest hopes, there is no replacing them. Also, do not believe that those who have chosen to continue to work do so because of an affinity towards the company. True, there are still handfuls of people here and there that really believe the company is doing right by them, but mostly, it's just people who neither respect the company, nor have the guts to do anything about it. This is bad for the company and here's why: invariably the timid become empowered either through understanding the truth, through opportunity, through leadership or through all of these.

The helicopter industry is not a case study in the well-known decline of the labor movement in this country. Quite the opposite, it is an exceptional case study of a highly modernized, highly professional industry where the operators have simply failed and/or refused to uphold the prevailing standards of modern professionalism that exist today. Your reluctance to recognize "the times" is ravaging this industry and unless there are significant changes on the immediate horizon there will be dire consequences held to your account.

To the picket line crossers: a lesson in solidarity was demonstrated most recently at your very own, sister organization, Local 107. Because President Bruner and the Membership of 107 are too humble to openly say it, I will take the liberty to do so. They achieved their favorable contract and averted a strike by one reason, and one reason alone. It was not because Air Log became overwhelmed with some new-found peace with the Union. It wasn't because the 107 negotiators somehow pulled a fast one on them. It was because their Membership stood up, stood together, and made it known what they were willing to settle for- period. There are a few occasions in life when men are required to make difficult choices that transcend their immediate comfort for the greater good of all. This is one of those times. In these critical instances we do not have the luxury of picking the time and the place; it just comes about and one must answer the call. In your short-sightedness, you've lulled yourselves into believing that you somehow control your own fate. The irony of all ironies here is that you not only forfeit your potential to control your own fate in your desire for immediate contentment, but through your fainthearted inaction, you sacrifice both your own and your entire constituency's future. I urge you to seriously consider the overall results of your unwillingness to participate in this action. This decision by your Union was authorized first, through a majority vote; and secondly through careful and thoughtful analysis by some very, very experienced people and therefore, it should be honored. Simply put, the responsibility is yours, whether you accept it or not.

To the customers and those who's well being we are entrusted with: first of all, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for the support that you offer in this trying and difficult situation. We can only do what we know is right in our attempts to resolve the issues that do and will undoubtedly have a profound and direct effect on you through the services we desire to provide.

And to the Fine Upstanding Members of Local 108: have confidence in knowing that you have the full support of the Membership of your sister Locals within the PHPA, as well as the highly respected Firefighters and Law Enforcement Officers. Above all else- all else- take great pride in knowing that history will tell the true story and you will be at peace knowing the part each and every one of you played in it.

In Solidarity and With the Utmost Respect,

Troy V. Montanez

President, Local 109