PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 22:26
anawanahuanana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2p worth

I may not be an ATPL, but I have been a licenced engineer on the 737 and EMB135/145 for a good few years now, and so if I may, I'd like to put forward my theory about all this. Just to see....

I think that the 737 was in a turn to the right, possibly an avoidance turn iaw aviation practice. I think the EMB stab tip struck the l/h wing inboard / #1 engine area, causing substantial damage to it. This led to either structural faliure of the engine pylon, or the engine loads generated allowed it to seperate as designed. The winglet of the EMB tore a hole in the underside of the 737 causing a decompression.

The upset of the 737, combined with the decompression led to loss of control of the aircraft and subsequent overspeed, which is why the gear was lowered by the crew in an attempt to create a bit more drag to slow their descent. The aircraft eventually broke up mid-air and the centre section fell upside down vertically into the jungle.

This would explain the trees around it being intact, ie: no forward speed on it, and also the fact that the wing tank access panels on the l/h wing appear to have suffered more than the opposing side (being blackened from maybe a post crash fire, or possible fire when the wing was damaged?). Obviously it is a distinct possibility that the damage to the leading edge and pylon area of the left wing were caused when it hit the forest, but it may be the case that the #2 engine has departed the aircraft in the designed manner during the uncontrolled descent, ie: the rest of the wing area around the pylon is undamaged, but the area of the #1 looks far worse.

Not putting this out there as the ultimate truth. Just wanted some rational arguments against my theory to help my understanding.