PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CS vs. Mil Pay
Thread: CS vs. Mil Pay
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 18:48
Jimlad1

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
"Even 150 pounds a day is a disgrace. Much more than the servicemen and women who endure far more hardship than this lot. As to less pay in the UK, there might be a reason for that............37 hour week, flexi time, weekends, Bank Holidays off, Xmas and New year...and so on."

Just spent ages typing an explanation which PPRUNE promptly lost. Bottom line

Typical CS will earn about £13k extra for a 6 month trip, taking average salary to just over £30k per year. This is far less than the majority of troops in theatre who earn an awful lot with their allowances and package. The average deployed "D" grade (SO3) will earn about as much as a corporal in theatre.

CS's in BAS and Shaiba have the same level of risk as pretty much all the RAF types in BAS, living in same corrimecs/tents, eating same food and the same chance of being hit by a raghead cnut lobbing IDF into the compound. Also most CS's need to fly and go on the road a lot outside the wire, so are exposed to a high level of risk.

All CS's volunteer to deploy, and frankly I think its a seriously cheap shot to call paying someone who volunteered to put themselves into a warzone £150 per day a "disgrace". You may have a big chip on your shoulder about CS's but don't let that detract from the fact that an awful lot have been to the sandpit and been exposed to the same risk as you and for probably a lot less money.

Layoff the whining about the CS terms and conditions, its part of the job. Bearing in mind how often I've heard certain RAF types (admitedly mostly movers) cite crew rest, or need for sleep or need to get home to see family at lunchtime on fridays, and then come in late on Mondays - frankly I wish I had the same easy life as your average RAF type.

Last edited by Jimlad1; 2nd Oct 2006 at 21:52.