PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CS vs. Mil Pay
Thread: CS vs. Mil Pay
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 17:20
Jimlad1

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
" A Civil Servant from the lower grades. This young chap is on £350.00 per day, TAX FREE, plus amassing loads of time off when he returns."

TOTAL UTTER CR*P

No civil servant to my knowledge (and I say this as one who did 6 months in the sandpit as a CS) is on tax free salary. Furthermore, I'd have dreamed of being on £350 per day.

If this guy is an admin clerk, then the very best rate he's on - including all his overseas allowances, its going to be less than £200 per day.Realistically it'll be less than £150.

The CS (read MOD) deploy civillians into theatre, and yes the pay package is enhanced - BUT - as a salutary note, civillians are on average about 30-50% underpaid compared to their military equivalent grades back in the UK. The extra pay is a hardship allowance (much like X factor) and overtime to reflect the extra hours worked (and this isn't as much cash as you might think).

Put in context, in my office in London which has a lot of C1 and C2's in (SO2 & SO1 types), the highest paid guy is our Army corporal.