PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Visibility Procedures under CAT 1
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 16:44
Spitoon

discount, I don't know whether you've been banging your head against the wall but you sure are giving me a headache.
lots of MATS 2, and by default the Aerodrome Manuals do not make a difference
It is the airport authority that is responsible for developing and maintaining LVPs although ATC play a major role and will normally trigger their implementation.
The low cloud is meant for the foggy low visibility days
This is incorrect. The low cloud thing is meant to control quality of the ILS signal by ensuring that no large chunks of metal etc. sit close to the antenna when an aircraft is going to want to make a cat II/III approach. Cat II/III stopbars etc are located to achieve this. If the cloud is below 200ft and all aircraft angd ground equipment is as it should be, the pilot is going to choose to make a cat II/III approach. The think that tells him/her that all the necessary protection is in place is the phrase "LVPs in force". It is nothing directly related to fog.

The rest of your diatribe mixes safety management processes and international standard compliance and probably doesn't help this debate greatly.

Why the airport authority chose to say that a higher minima should be used is puzzling. Can anyone give the CAP 168 reference? It's an interesting question that obviously needs more investigation than I've given it now but my immediate reaction is that it would have been appropriate simply to tell the pilot that standby power (presumably for AGL) is unserviceable and ask his/her intentions.