PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wall Street Journal reports on BA 747 3 engine LAX-MAN flight
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 16:01
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jondc9
L337
so, for the record, your chief pilot would be mad at you for returning to land with an engine shut down, that the Boeing manual would forbid you from doing the same and that you common law duty of care would somehow be violated by landing at LAX?
again, is that for the record?
jon
He might be interested to know why you chose to return to land when you could have continued, given that they are both equally acceptable options and the latter is the companys policy. When given a choice between two equally safe options and one chooses the lesser commercially acceptable option you need to be able to support your decision. I couldn't be bothered/I was worried what jondc9 might say would not, to my mind, seem like sensible reasons. Were paid good money to make big decisions, nobody said it was going to be easy.

PS We really don't need you to get us to think beyond the rule book, we do that every day thank you, and we are fully aware of the consequences of our decisions in the publics eyes. As I stated previously, we are still fulll out of LAX most days and the FAA have dropped all the charges, so it would appear to me that despite the 'storm in a teacup' of the FAAs misinformed rant the public are still more than willing to put their money where our mouths are.