PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wall Street Journal reports on BA 747 3 engine LAX-MAN flight
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 15:56
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dear L337

by no means do I wish to convey the idea that you are stupid, nor any of the members of this forum

what I am trying to do is to get pilots to think beyond the world of the rule book, of piloting the aircraft and remember this:

not only are you the "driver of the aeroplane" but you and what you do every day reflects on you, your airline, and the whole aviation community.

if you are in a desperate situation, of course be the pilot and get down safely and the hell with what others think...I MEAN THAT, cut off AIR FORCE ONE if you need to and flip them the finger if that helps you land safely!

but if you have time to think, to weigh all the choices you have, then be sure to remember how it might reflect upon you , your airline and the whole aviation community.

in your post, you are trying to get at the idea that you and the way you fly should not be dictated by how the press sees and reports it. and in the desperate situation, more power to you.

but, there is more to flying now, the pilot in, addition to being superb at flying the plane, must also be lawyer, corporate executive, nurse maid, flying instructor, public relations expert, and a myriad of other things.

If time permits, consider everything, if time doesn't, fly like a tiger!

j