PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL conversion from EFT
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 15:04
Had Enough 77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

To put in a view from both sides of the fence, the planning that i did for my RAF flying compared to the PPl nav using the old dalton/crp5 was easily as good if not more flexible than the intricate PPL way.

I have flown with civillian freinds that think that the planning on the ground is all that is needed and they become a bit lost when it comes to MDR in the air as opposed to RAF EFT that gives a bit more mental flexability when you encounter these problems.

Another point is that many of these PPL holders rely way too much on their GPS to get them anywhere, in my opinion the RAF training enables you to read maps to a higher standard enabling better emerg/div planning.

As for the comments about flying weather limits, i would say that the PPL limits are too lax and there is lip service paid to them from my experience of civi flying clubs (including ones on RAF bases). For the experience levels of a new PPL pilot this can get them into a whole world of hurt.

Beagle, your comment about route crawling by RAF EFT studes doing PPL surpriuses me as if i had even attempted to do this during the nav in EFT and on i would have got my head in my hands to play with.

Neilmac the hours that these guys do on UAS should count towards their PPL as it is the best flying trainig that they will get compared to some of the civillian training on offer out there.

Finally, if you wait until you get your wings you can get a PPL by doing the exams and a skills test only! A bit cheaper than the other option.

Cheers, HE77