PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 12:51
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... too many variables and unknowns to really understand the pre and post MAC events yet!
.. the centre section photo does not reveal anything meaningful. Any or all of those visible clues may have resulted from break-up and/or impact. The left main position may have resulted from side load impact with the terrain, as could be the case with the deformation of the left side spar.
The blown out inspection panels on the left wing are interesting though! .... I would have thought that would only occur as a result of internal outward pressure (air or fuel)?!
... FDR and CVR data will reveal bank angle at the time of collision (as well as a host of other relevant information) .. from the looks of it thus far, IMHO one, or the other, or both had some bank angle on, either that or they were both extremely unlucky (or in the case of the Embraer occupants .. lucky)!
... one thing is certain, if any part of the Embraer met with any part of the pressure vessel of the the B738 .... it was all over then and there for them .... The pressure differential and explosive out flow .... well .. you all know the results of something like that at FL360 (the ‘china’ 74 comes to mind)!!
.... there are many scenarios that may have precluded a post collision broadcast by the 73 crew, however given the (relatively) slight winglet and horizontal stab damage on the Embraer, the impact points on the 73 must have been critical!
.. the lack of RT could tend to lend strength to a sudden and perhaps explosive break-up sequence ... although electrical bus interrupt could do any number of things to any number of systems including of course comm's .. .
.. then there is the witness report of the aircraft (or part of it) spinning?!
..that account and the 'flat' impact of the centre section reminded me of the BOAC B707 that flew through the mountain wave near Mt FUJI! .. in that sequence the sudden side load on the vertical stab and engine pylons had them all off in short time, leaving the remainder of the wings and fuse to descend in a slow rotation flat spin to ground impact ... (still have that imprint of the twin boggy gear legs sitting in the wells) ... this has a very similar feel to it!!
... the earlier photo of the vertical stab seems to indicate it was reasonably intact .... was it located near the centre section??
.... reason I ask is that after rapid break-up, the empennage parts are often found closest (geographically) to the point of break-up with the remaining sections further away!
.. if the fin was found a distance away from the hull and closer to the MAC position ….. yaw, roll (sudden and dramatic due wing sweep) and rapid break-up are highly probable!
.... if the empennage parts are with (close to) the rest of the hull, you could almost (and I say ALMOST) rule out explosive and/or loss of control break-up!!
... in any event … tis all conjecture until the known’s are known!

Last edited by Scurvy.D.Dog; 2nd Oct 2006 at 12:56. Reason: Spellin'