PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 12:29
Confabulous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dingbat,

Find a new instructor - preferably a good one!

I've flown with two instructors so far, one took me through aeros and low level flying on my trial flight. He ended up writing off a club a/c (without me in it) and afterwards being fired from an F/O position for gross incompetence.

My second instructor was my best friend (still is, just doesn't train me anymore) and possibly overestimated my abilities, recovering from (very) unusual attitudes on my second lesson. I did get to land on all lessons, which made up for any uncertainties on my part. Still disconcerting though.

My point is that instructors are human and make mistakes, misjudgements, have attitudes and may not be suited for instructing sometimes. Some people respond well to insults as a training technique, many don't. It's unprofessional to insult someone, especially while they're doing a complicated (for the student) task like flying circuits. You're not paying to be insulted, you're paying to learn and receive critical appraisal of your current skills. If a skill is taking longer then usual to perfect, feedback is nessecary, insults and jibes play no part.

New instructor, post haste. As an aside, ask yourself what you know, what you're sure about. What's left needs to be worked on.

Last edited by Confabulous; 2nd Oct 2006 at 12:49.